Pages

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Beautiful Bridesmaids

I let my bridesmaids choose their own dresses.

Let me clarify: I searched and searched for perfect bridesmaid dresses. I picked five and sent a Facebook message to my girls. I wanted them to all wear the same thing, but I wanted to get their opinions on what they were going to wear, because let's face it, I'm not the one who has to wear it and I want them to feel beauteeful.

Because most of us are poor recent college grads, I wanted to keep them at a reasonably low price, and I wanted to delude myself into thinking they might possibly wear them again. So all of these fall in the $160-or-under range, and are about knee-length.

I had two runner-ups that the bridesmaids liked, but were not unanimous on. This Mori Lee was one of them. I took Hyena Sis out to go dress shopping and she tried one on that was similar to this, but it wasn't as flattering in person as it was in the picture.


I thought this scalloped hem was adorable, but I'd want to reverse the colors on the dress (hot pink with baby pink sash), like the flower girl's dress.


I loooooooooved this one. This was another runner up from my bridesmaids, but Mr. Hyena thought it was horrible. This was from the Sophia Tolli Spring 2010 Collection.

All four bridesmaids loved this halter number! Also from Mori Lee. And the picture is in the perfect color too! :)

I thought this Dessy dress was cute, but none of them were that crazy about it either. They also didn't have it in the right shade for us, even though Dessy goes by Pantone colors (LOVE!).

Another option was to go the David's Bridal route, since then each girl could pick their own dress in the same color. However, I was not thrilled with the options they had in pink - the color was either a little too loud or a little too soft, never juuuuuust right. :)

The one we ultimately chose was the Mori Lee #732! Ignore the peachy-pink and imagine this in the nice burgundy in the swatch below (which is also the same color as the image of the dress above).


Aww, my sister so prettyyy. Personal photos.

Are you giving your bridesmaids a say in picking their dresses?

3 comments:

  1. Can I just say that the dresses you picked are ADORABLE?! I love them! They look so cute and flowy and I love the straps!

    I probably will be going the David's route - picking three or four styles that go well together in the same color and letting each girl choose their own. I've tried looking other places and really loved this dress in Hazel Blue:
    http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/WomenBrowse/Women_Shop_By_Category/dresses/thelittleblackdress/PRDOVR~96454/96454.jsp

    However - it's just a pain and too scary to order dresses without getting a chance to try them on. Oh well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Yeah, agreed it's too scary to order without knowing in person, and I'm still a little nervous since Rachel is the only one that's tried it on so far. But I gotta give the people what they want! :)

    The Hazel Blue dress is so pretty! And David's ones always look good in pictures too. How many bridesmaids do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got six - two friends from southlake, three friends from college and Paul's sister Erin.

    ReplyDelete