Pages

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Peonies and Potted Plants: Part 2

Okay, I can't hold off any longer on this!

Despite trips to various places to look at potted plants (because I can't let the idea go...), I was never really satisfied with the way real potted plants looked. The flowers seemed to be too damaged, or too sparse, or in the wrong colors. It wasn't something I wanted to chance, hoping the right colors would be in at the right time, and that they'd magically be full and healthy. (Also, I don't trust myself to keep plants alive between now and then.) But alas, I couldn't. let. go. Pots are so cute!

I had stopped thinking about flower pots, though, in favor of thinking more generically about centerpieces. Mom Hyena and Aunt Hyena had some nice glass vases they were willing to let us borrow, and I was on board with that, even though they would be a lot taller than I originally envisioned. I was also a little worried it would be obvious with glass bases that our plants are fake. I've done a lot of searching for flowers in order to find high-quality ones that look realistic! My cover will not be blown by see-through vases!

Then, Mr. H and I went to go visit his family (hi future family!), and on the way we stopped at IKEA. ZOMG I love IKEA. You never know what wonderful things you will find in there!

I picked up these cute pots in light pink and bright green for about $2.50-$3.50 apiece.

But when I brought them home, Mom Hyena thought they looked more purple than pink. I didn't think they looked purple, but she suggested spray painting them a brighter pink, and I'm always on board with BRIGHTER!


Pretty! Have I mentioned that Mom Hyena is awesome?

She was right, the hot pink is even prettier! The green pot we didn't change. Also, see how good I'm being at being a laid-back, accommodating, not-freaking-out-too-much bride? :) I am collaborating!

While at IKEA, we also got these stands for a couple bucks apiece. I got two tall ones and two short ones. Bear with me, you'll see what I'm envisioning for the church altar ...


Then, I gathered my supplies and put on some How I Met Your Mother, and I was ready to craft some centerpieces! (Note to other budget brides — buy your floral foam in bulk and cut it into the size you want. Each block was going to be over $2 for about the size you can see below, but I bought a big pack of foam bricks for $4, cut them up with a steak knife, and had enough to make 12 centerpieces.)

A couple hours of arranging later, and we had this:


This is kind of what I'm thinking for the church altar. One tall and one short stand on either side of the altar, with a pot on each. The church is very simple on its own, and we don't want to detract from the natural beauty, but we needed something small to decorate with!

Another option (and the one I'm kind of favoring at the moment), is to drape the stands with some type of maroon fabric that is not this one, because it's too wrinkly:



Cute! I wish I'd gotten a better picture of some of the centerpieces, but you get the idea.

Which do you prefer, the fabric or the undraped tables?

(All photos personal.)

1 comment:

  1. I prefer the bare tables - maybe you could stain them or paint them chocolate brown? I LOVE Ikea too, by the way!! :-)

    ReplyDelete