Pages

Thursday, December 16, 2010

You know this makes me want to SHOUT!

For the first time since we got engaged, I recently started to freak out a little bit about our reception music. We'll be joining the masses rockin' an iPod/laptop reception, and I have very little grasp on the logistics.

via iWorld-CLUB
Panic! Adorable Panic!


Sure, I've got a basic outline of the music we'd like to play for the various parts of the reception, and we've got plenty of time to finalize it. I've talked to the woman who owns Downtown 202 about some of the logistics of hooking up a laptop (she said to come in a few weeks in advance to make sure everything will hook up properly, or just burn CDs of all the music).

What I wasn't sure about, though, is how the actual reception is gonna go down. Obvs, we would like to have music for the anniversary dance, cake cutting and the bouquet and garter tosses, as well as plenty of time to cut a rug. This is where it got complicated in my brain.

• When we select music for these moments, should they be embedded into the rest of the dance playlist (for minimal playlist-switching on the part of Bridesmaid A), or each event on a separate playlist?

• If each one is on a separate playlist, do I need to separate the entire dancing playlist into sets so there isn't any repeats in the music?

• Without an emcee, how do we let everyone know it's time for each event?

These questions were bouncing around in my head, unsolved for a couple of days, in which I was almost frustrated enough to blow the whole thing off and just hire a DJ. I had worked the iPod at Bridesmaid A's wedding, but since her wedding was mid-afternoon with no meal and no toasts and not many announcements, I don't remember how she accounted for these little things (and neither does she). I mainly just recall hitting play on her cocktail hour playlist, and then switching it over to the dance playlist when she and her new hubby walked in.

Luckily, Mr. H came up with an answer to my many questions ... and I promise you'll think it's crazy. You'll want to stay tuned for this.

If you had an iPod reception, how did you deal with the little "events"?

No comments:

Post a Comment