Pages

Friday, November 5, 2010

One Thing I'll Miss

I mentioned ages ago that we're going to be rocking an iPod reception. I've been working on playlists, and am having a lot of fun doing it. But I had totally forgotten about something that I'd always really, really loved about weddings: the anniversary dance.

I don't know if this is a regional thing or not, but in case anyone doesn't know, the DJ will call all married couples out to the dance floor, and they usually play a song like this:



Then, the DJ starts eliminating people from the dance floor. First, people who have been married less than a day (bye, bride and groom!), then less than a year, less than five years, less than 10 ... up until there's only one couple left on the floor, the one that has been married for the longest. At the end of the dance, that couple gives the newlyweds their advice for a happy and lasting marriage.

I love love love this tradition. It's so cute and I love to hear the different advice given.

What I didn't put much thought into was that this may be difficult with an iPod wedding. Sure, we could play "Remember When" (even though everyone uses it, Mr. H and I danced to it at our senior prom so I have some attachment to it), but without an emcee I wasn't sure how it would work. Bridesmaid A is manning the music, but she is also married, and I didn't want her to miss out on the anniversary dance just so she could emcee it.

Thank goodness for FSIL Hyena, though, who volunteered to emcee for this song. I would have been really sad if we didn't get to take part in this.

Are you having an anniversary dance? How about any other special dances?

3 comments:

  1. I can do it if you need me to... I won't be married!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, that would be so great Steph! Thank you! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem! I think it's one of my favorite parts of the reception when someone does this. I always tear up at father/daughter dances and anniversary dances. Paul and I are definitely doing one... although it will be a little sad because neither of us have living grandparents.

    ReplyDelete