Pages

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Bier & Vino

When we thought about previous weddings we've attended, very few have had a full bar. Most of them have served just beer and wine. That ended up working great for us, since most people in our families really only drink beer and wine.

Honestly, I don't know much about alcohol. I know I like red wine. I know I like cosmopolitans. I know I usually enjoy shots with inappropriate names. Aaaand that's about the extent of my drinking knowledge. Since Mr. Hyena's family is German, and he actually knows things about beer, I left that particular beverage in his capable hands.

For ummm, RESEARCH! YEAH! we took a little trip to Shiner, Texas, to visit the Spoetzl Brewery, and yummmm. Mr. H suggested serving Shiner Bock as our beer. Sounds good to me!

I approve. If you like touring breweries, this was a fun tour and you got to taste several varieties of Shiner!

Various beer coasters we've collected. Some we picked up in Shiner, some taken from local bars, and some from Germany when Mr. Hyena visited last summer!

We stumbled upon our wine by accident. You see, I have this wine rack, and when I moved to College Station I wanted to decorate it. As a great wine connoisseur, I went to Wal-Mart and picked all the bottles that were under $10 and had cute labels. I proceeded to drink none of them. Until ...

The day after we got engaged, a friend of mine was hosting a Texas Wine Night, and we were all required to bring a Texas wine that cost less than $10. I went to my wine rack to see if I had anything that fit the bill, and discovered that one of the wines I had picked up at Wal-Mart was Llano Estacado's Sweet Red. (The winery is in Lubbock.) We brought it. It was freaking delicious.


On separate occasions, we tasted their Blush and Chenin Blanc wines as well, and I was pretty impressed. I'm not a huge fan of white wine in general, but both Mr. Hyena and I liked the Chenin Blanc. Nice and light and fruity. I think these will go well with our hors d'oeuvres. Even though it was good, we're not going to serve Blush (do a lot of people like Blush?).

So there you have it! We've got our alcohol! Local and delish.

What are you serving at your wedding?

4 comments:

  1. We are having a brunch reception so we are doing various tropical flavored mimosas (our wedding is a beach wedding in Costsa Rica), screw drivers, and beer.
    Then in the evening we are having a champagne and cake reception, with Champagne, wine, and beer and a two signature drinks. We are supplying our own bar so we'll get vodka, tequila and rum, but we haven't made any exact selections because it'll really depend on what's available locally... or we'll get the wedding party to pick stuff up at duty free on their way in ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our venue allows us to bring in our own alcohol (hooray!) so we're tailoring our options to suit our personalities AND saving a boatload of money. I'm not much of a beer drinker at all (I think Keystone tastes like green apple Jolly Ranchers, so yeah...) but Sean's a Shiner fan, so that's what our guests are getting, too. Since we celebrated our 6 month anniversary and got engaged at the Messina Hof winery, it's only appropriate that we serve Messina Hof wine--Riesling (my fave), Chardonnay & Merlot (crowd pleasers), and Pinot Noir (Sean's fave) yum! We're also going to serve SoCo and Coke since Sean's thirst for it is legendary. Aaaand we might be serving a LOST-themed cocktail too, if the budget allows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are also doing Shiner and Texas wine! Staying local is so easy when you live in a state with so many great options! We did a wine tasting the other day and, though we haven't decided on anything yet, I am starting to wonder if any other cocktails are necessary.

    Love the coaster spread!! I'm going to have to go searching for the one with Stoney LaRue! Awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shiner and Texas wine seems to be a popular combination! We're going to have another beer as well but that choice hasn't been made yet (probably another Texas beer.... if it's not too expensive).

    Paul and I have definitely bought bottles of wine in the name of "wedding planning". It's all necessary expenses!! :)

    ReplyDelete