Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

I Heart Pianos

I've just GOT to share some music I discovered! The contract with our church specifies that our ceremony music should be fitting of a Christian worship ceremony, and we needed some kind of pre-ceremony music. We're not planning to hire ceremony musicians, so our music will be done through our church's sound system.

While planning Bridesmaid A's wedding, I discovered *clouds parting in the sky* the Vitamin String Quartet. VSQ is a group of musicians who cover current pop/rock songs using only string instruments, and they're faaaabulous.

VSQ's cover of Paramore's "Hallelujah," which I want to play as a "Everybody pay attention, we're about to start the wedding" song!

I love VSQ, but Mr. Hyena isn't such a fan (I probably went a little too nuts before A's wedding). Also, I don't think they have covers of religious songs. I didn't know where to start looking for instrumental Christian covers, so I went over to Pandora and started a Vitamin String Quartet channel. Along the way, a few religious instrumental songs popped up, and I jotted down the artists' names so I could look them up on iTunes later.

And that, dear friends, is how I discovered this magic:



And this too:



I am so in love with piano music. I put together some mock ceremony playlists heavily featuring misters David Nevue and Jim Brickman, followed by the awesome Paramore cover and ending with "our song" — Rascal Flatts' "Bless the Broken Road" — which we're using as the processional (this is the live version, we're using the CD version):



You guys, I love it! And yes, we only have one song for the processional. As you can see, it's about four minutes long, and our church's aisle is ... about 20 feet tops. Everyone can just walk down in the same song, and I'll walk in when it gets to the dramatic musical interlude. :)

For the recessional, this is what Mr. Hyena wants:


Boys. :) I'm giving him this one. He hasn't asked for much. But I'm making him ask our pastor if he'll allow us to use it.

What music are you using for your ceremony?

3 comments:

  1. It's so lovely! I love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha @ the Star Wars... typical!!

    I LOVE that first one w/Vitamin String Quartet - much more appropriate for a wedding than "Bring Me to Life" or whatever that Death Cab Cutie song was that they used at my MOH's wedding. :)

    I honestly haven't thought too much about music. I think we'll probably hire the church organist but I'm not a huge organ fan, so we'll probably have him/her play the lovely grand piano they have at the church. (We've also talked about asking Paul's best friend from high school to play oboe but that talk never really went anywhere after that...) I think our music has to come from the classical or church repertoire though. Definitely need to start thinking about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy moly, Allie, can Matt please plan my wedding? As soon as I read this I sent Sean a text begging him to let me include a Star Wars song somewhere in our wedding!

    I also LOVE the VSQ! They cover a TON of songs that Sean and I love that might not be well-known enough to get people on the dance floor, so we're planning on playing the VSQ versions during our cocktail hour.

    Ceremony music is TBD--I'm pretty sure my church would be opposed to anything secular, but Sean's friends with a member of a string quartet, so we might get them to play some religious tunes.

    ReplyDelete