Pages

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Men at Work

Planning the wedding often makes me want to cry and rip all my hair out, so planning a wedding AND a rehearsal dinner was almost too much to bear. (Yeah, yeah, wedding planning is supposed to be fun, but when you are a stressy, panicky person in the first place, becoming a stressy, panicky bride is fun for no one.)

Luckily, I have an awesome fiancĂ© who volunteered to do a good chunk of the planning for the rehearsal dinner. He's done a great job — we've figured out where we can get the food catered, and the cost, and his most recent project was scouting out locations. We settled on a pavilion area with picnic tables at a local park.

via Friends of Bidwell Park
I kind of wish I knew where this park is so I could tell someone they spelled "observing" incorrectly. Because I'm That Girl.

While discussing the setup of having a rehearsal dinner in a public park, we came upon a few things that are need-to-know information if you're considering a public outdoor location. Before you book, look up the park rules! Some of the things we hadn't considered:

Do they allow alcohol? If you want to serve it, better find out first! They say it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, but I don't think that works all that well when cops are involved. In our case, we are allowed to serve alcohol, but not in glass bottles.
Do they allow candles? I think it would be pretty easy and relatively painless for our budget to just get some hurricane vases and some candles (or vases with floating candles) to use as the RD centerpieces. Doesn't require much work! But of course we don't want to burn the park down, so that's something we need to know ahead of time.
Does the park close down at a certain time? It would suck for the rehearsal dinner to get cut short because everyone's gotta skedaddle at sundown. Some towns have park curfews, some don't.
Can other people access the park during rental? Will there be real-life crashers?

Are there any other need-to-knows I'm forgetting? Where are you having your rehearsal dinner?

2 comments:

  1. We're having ours at the Marketplatz in Fredericksburg... I am trying to find a picture of it and can't, but basically it's a massive open air pavilion in a small park. The wonderful thing about Fredericksburg is that you can carry alcohol around with you on the streets, so no worries about the beer. However - there is always a possibility of crashers. We'll see if we actually have any! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sign made me laugh out loud. I am totally that girl too! :-) I found your blog on the weddingbee post and am following now. Looking forward to reading more

    ReplyDelete