Pages

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Throwing Money at Our Problems

I'll admit, up until a couple months ago I did not consider myself a DIY Bride. It wasn't until I was talking to a Planning Buddy J about our corsages a while back that I realized how many details I've unintentionally DIY-ed.

While I was not planning to be a DIY queen, I DID consider myself to be a Budget Bride. And oh ho ho did I have big ideas for that one before I got knee-deep in planning.

Wedding cake? Oh, we'll just get the local HEB grocery to make it! Catering? HEB has party platters too! Flowers? ... You may be sensing a theme. I freaking love HEB.

via The Dallas Observer
Oh HEB, you are so good to me...

All of these could have been great ideas, but unfortunately there was still a heavy DIY element to these ideas. And frankly, my poor little bride brain couldn't handle it.

I realized I would rather spend the extra cash on our cakes in order to have them done by a professional and delivered to us, instead of selecting from the pre-made "cakes we know how to make" bakery booklet and picking it up ourselves the morning of the wedding. I would rather pay someone to make really good food that I don't have to figure out how to keep fresh or warm. And, well, you already know how I feel about flowers. I'm pretty sure HEB doesn't regularly stock peonies. Even if they did, my head would explode if I had to wait until the last minute to get them arranged.

At some point, we have to figure out which is worth more: our time or our money? Our money or our sanity?

Now, I realize that I am putting quite a lot of effort into the DIY aspect of our wedding, but I'm justifying that because the majority of the projects I'm taking on were ones that I wanted to work on. I know the limits of my capabilities (I don't think I've ever successfully baked anything; therefore, I should not delude myself into thinking I could make our wedding cake). If a project sounds awful and difficult, I don't want to waste my time doing it.

I'll admit, there are a couple projects that I do NOT want to be working on (like, oh, a DIY BAR, more to come on that later), but I'm trying to keep those to a minimum. I'm not fun when I'm stressed out. I'd like to remain fun!

What kind of bride are you? Is it super weird to love a grocery store so much? :)

1 comment:

  1. I was discussing H-E-B greatness with some friends in Ft Worth this past weekend, and they are incredibly jealous that I get to do all my grocery shopping at the greatest store ever. Actually, maybe Trader Joe's is better... but that's not an option for anyone in TX sadly. :(

    To your other point, I'm still thinking HEB for the cake (I'm just not a big cake fanatic and I don't really need anything special), but I gave up on the HEB flowers thing a long time ago. You're absolutely right - DIY the things you love to do and pay someone else to do the things you don't! :)

    ReplyDelete