Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Pilfering and Plundering: A Tutorial

I found out a month or so into wedding planning that Mom Hyena had not discussed my budget (which I had been planning things off of) with H-Dad. We're not the best at communicating with each other.

H-Dad just about had a heart attack when Mom Hyena told him what we had discussed. He asks me on a weekly basis why Mr. H and I don't just elope, only semi-joking. In my frenzy to cut down certain budget lines to a reasonable price, I came up with a brilliant idea.

Mom Hyena is an elementary school teacher. There is a LOT of craft stuff around her house. So one afternoon while I was in town, they headed off to H-Dad's favorite store (CostCo), and I went all How The Grinch Stole Christmas on the house, looking for good craft stuff I could steal borrow.


She took the rare Who pudding; she took the Roast Beast!

I surfaced with a couple colors of ribbon, elastic, lace, twine, two colors of gingham fabric (which didn't match once we decided on a color scheme) and a hot glue gun. Unfortunately most art supplies owned by teachers are not of the wedding-friendly variety, but I'll take what I can get. Besides, that blue ribbon you see there makes an appearance on my "something blue" ...

I bought a white garter at Hobby Lobby for $1.99 on a 50% off clearance, but I couldn't just leave well enough alone.  It originally had little plastic hearts and a white bow hot-glued to the front, but I peeled those off. I made a bow out of the blue ribbon from the 'rents and stitched it to the front, and I went to JoAnn's and purchased some bright blue giant rhinestone buttons for about $5. I am not a very neat stitcher, but I doubt any of the boys will be looking that closely if they catch it. Garter complete for under $8! Check!

After I took this picture I realized the bow ends were uneven, so I did trim those. Just didn't want to upload any more pics! (All photos personal.)

Is your parents' house a treasure trove of wedding goodness just waiting to be used?

No comments:

Post a Comment