Pages

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Let Them Eat Cake AND Ice Cream!

Just kidding. I'm only going to talk about cake. But every time I hear the phrase "Let them eat cake," I picture this cartoon:

(source)
I've always loved Gary Larson's "The Far Side." I have a messed up sense of humor. 

But anyway, onto some cake piccies!

I have a friend who is into cake decorating, and many moons ago (well before engagement was even a topic of conversation), she posted a link to a Dallas cake decorator's Web site, and while flipping through the pages, I found my first cake love:


via Frosted Art / Cake by Bronwen Weber

So beautiful! I still love this, but as we have planned, it started to seem too fancy for our semi-formal wedding. Off I went in search of inspiration!


via The Knot / Photo by Drew Newman Photography / Cake by Frosted Pumpkin Gourmet Inc.

via The Knot / Photo by Photography by Vanessa / Cake by Barton Creek Lakeside Country Club


From a bridal fair I attended.

via The Knot / Photo by Glen Abog Photography / Cake by Rolf's Patisserie

via The Knot / Photo by Dachowski Photography / Cake by Jacques Pastries

via Style Me Pretty / Photo by Red Ribbon Studio / Cake by Cocoa + Fig

via The Knot / Photo by Rachel McGinn Photography / Cake by Ann's Cake Pan

via The Knot / Photo by Angie Silvy Photography / Cake by Shelton's Wedding Cake Designs

This is one Mom Hyena found while out shopping with one of her friends. We call it the "Dr. Seuss cake."


When I had gathered these images, Mr. H and I went to visit with a couple of bakeries, and we've decided what we want for both the wedding and groom's cakes!

Prior to this outing, Mr. Hyena had told me he wanted a Texas Rangers groom's cake, with blue icing (bright blue — the kind that stains your teeth in all your pictures), and I was RELIEVED when he selected a nice-looking, two-tier chocolate cake with drippy ganache and strawberries in little tuxedos! :)

As for the main wedding cake, we do not want to save the top tier (if we want cake on our anniversary, we'll go get a new cake that will actually taste good!), so we'll be having a three-tier French Vanilla cake with buttahcreme (mmmmmmmmmmmmm), with ribbon around the base of each layer, and edible pearls all over! It'll look similar to this, but without swirls or rhinestones. There will be pink ribbon around each tier and pink peonies on top.

From the same bridal fair.

What's your favorite part: the cake or the icing? I think my answer is pretty obvious. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment