Pages

Monday, August 23, 2010

Airplanes in the Night Sky

Instead of bubbles or rice, we're going to be having a paper airplane send-off! It's a little less traditional, a little bit awesome, and right up Mr. H's aerospace-loving alley!


Not going to lie, prior to this DIY I could not remember how to fold a paper airplane. A quick Google search remedied this!

First, I took a regular piece of 9x12" construction paper and sliced it into four equal-sized pieces. For the sake of this tutorial though, I used white regular paper, so it would stand out on my kitchen table. With your paper, fold it in half hot-dog style.


Then, fold over the top two corners to meet the middle:

Without opening the folds you've just made, fold the outside edges into the middle again:

Flip it over:

Now, fold the outside edges into the middle on the back side, and then fold the whole thing in half toward the front side:

At that point, the thickest part (on the right in this picture) is the back end of the plane. You can lift those "wings" up and it will look like a plane!

Go on and throw it. You know you want to.

Whazzat?!

I bought some maroon sulfite construction paper off Amazon, which was a good thickness for folding but didn't crack like normal construction paper. Here's how my maroon planes turned out:
Oooooooh.

Oh look, a cute basket from Michael's on 20% off clearance!

A perfect fit!
Elliott-boo, don't you eat those airplanes!

So voila! My third-grade paper airplane tutorial. :) I'm really excited about how they turned out. I can't wait for people to throw them at us! (Is that weird?)

Have you utilized any skillz from your childhood in planning?

2 comments:

  1. Cute! I like the basket you got to put them in as well! And dang your bling looks HUGE in those pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, it's amazing what a bad flash can do! ;)

    ReplyDelete