Pages

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Airplanes: Part 1

It's difficult marrying an Aggie. :-P Not because I'm not one, but because you would think in a town full of them, it would be so easy to find anything you want in maroon. And um, you would be mistaken.

In an effort to be "different," I decided we needed to use paper airplanes for our send-off instead of rose petals or rice or bubbles. Bonus: Mr. Hyena is studying aerospace engineering, and totally loves airplanes. Score. I wanted them to be maroon, since pretty much everything else I've planned so far has been pink!

Mr. H could probably tell you what kind of plane this is. I cannot. (source)

We went to every craft store looking for maroon paper. And it is impossible to find. Well, I take that back - they have maroon paper, sure, but it's either too thick or too thin to fold, and I wanted something in between.

Flash forward two days. I spent half a bajillion hours searching for maroon origami paper to no avail. I found plenty of variety packs including the right color, but no plain maroon or burgundy! (I had to expand my color scope for more options. Also to no avail.) I finally decided to buy some sulphite construction paper that can be folded without cracking. (I recently found the same paper on Amazon.com for half the price I paid on another Web site, so lesson learned, always look on Amazon!) Now that it's here, I like the color and texture of the paper. It's not reminiscent of grade school, which is a plus. It folded nicely too! And ... I'll stop here for some suspense! Coming up, I'll show you how they turned out and give a quick tutorial.

What are you using for your send-off?

No comments:

Post a Comment