Pages

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Mom Jeans

Mom Hyena is notorious for ruining pictures by putting her hand in front of her face. With that preface, my parents have a running joke that they use to rile me up whenever we have wedding conversations. It goes like this, every single time:

Mom Hyena: "I'm not going to the wedding if I have to be in pictures!"
H-Dad: "Well, I'm not going if I have to dance!"
Mom Hyena: "I'll go if I can wear jeans!"
(Laughter all around.)

Well, clearly jeans will not do, so Mom Hyena and I planned to go shopping while I was in Dallas. We headed out to the mall, which is my mom's least favorite place on earth. We trekked through J.C. Penneys, Macy's, Dillards and Nordstrom's with no results. The closest we came was this, from Dillards:

Very pretty, but she was afraid it was too fancy. Also, she's wearing her jeans under this dress. :)

After our trek, our tootsies exhausted and our tummies hungry, the last stop was the bridal store where I got my wedding dress, not five minutes from home.

We could have saved a lot of time if we'd just gone there in the first place! Because I bought my dress there, I get a 15 percent discount on any other purchases we make. I think this might be a bridesmaid dress, technically, but it's very appropriate anyway, since Mom Hyena is cute, and she looked cute in it. :) No pictures allowed in the bridal store, but here's a picture of the dress in the color we ordered it in:


The salesgirl at the bridal store told us something I didn't know, so I'll pass it along to ya'll: The mothers aren't supposed to match the rest of the bridal party. Who knew? Instead, they're supposed to choose a complementary color that is more neutral and season-appropriate. We chose green since we're using that as an accent color. I haven't seen Mom Hyena this excited about a dress ... well, ever! Adios, jeans!

Any other wisdom out there about picking dresses for the moms? And would anyone else's mom wear jeans if they had the chance? :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, that's beautiful!! I know my mom is going nuts trying to pick out TWO MOB dresses (cause, you know, she can't wear the same one to both!) and maybe looking at bridesmaid dresses is a way to go... because seriously, there is a lot of REALLY UGLY stuff for moms out there. WTF is up with that?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNOW! Most of the MOB dresses I've seen I could never imagine my mom actually wearing! At the bridal store they told us that the Jasmine line of BM dresses come with short-sleeved jackets to make them a little more appropriate for moms, so they're multi-functional.

    ReplyDelete