Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

Getting My Butt to the Gym

My New Year's Resolution this year was not — contrary to the title of this post — to go to the gym more. Resolving to do that wouldn't help get me there, since I pretty much hate working out. Sure, I go to Flow classes pretty often (combo Pilates, yoga and Tai chi), but that's more for stress reduction and relaxation than exercise.

Instead, my resolution was to try new things this year. This year a lot of things are happening that are going to be new experiences: our wedding, my first time leaving the United States, going parasailing ... and I want to really hunger for adventures in 2011.

One of the things that has been on my "Life List" for awhile was to run a 5K. To this point I don't think I've ever willingly run a day in my life (and I'm not exactly sure why that's on my list), but when Matt wanted to sign up for a 5K this coming March, I told him I would run it too. And you know what I discovered? Running ain't so bad, as long as I can get motivated to do it. I'm following the Couch to 5K program, and for $2 or $3 I bought the C25K iPhone app. It's pretty cool; you can play your own music while you run, and it counts down your workout for you and tells you when to run and when to walk. Also, it's got a journal feature so you can track your progress, which might be my favorite part. Not going to lie, the app is kind of buggy, but when it runs perfectly (maybe 85 percent of the time), it's a really cool tool. (No one's paying me to say that.)

I'm a little doubtful that I'll actually get up to running three miles before March, but at least I'm making progress. That's gotta count for something. Right now I'm hovering around running/walking two miles per workout. If nothing else, I'm going to look totally sexyfine in my wedding dress.

What kind of stuff is on your Life List? Anybody else doing the 5K training? (I'm always up for support groups!)

3 comments:

  1. Now THAT is the sort of app that would make me buy an iPhone! That's sweet! I love running because it's great "thinking" time for me. There's just something about repetitive movement and pumping lots of blood through my veins that helps me plan my MT sessions faster. :) I don't listen to music though; I used to but now I find it very distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well how about that--I JUST wrote (but have yet to publish) a blog post about my new running regimen, too! I was a total non-runner until I got engaged, at which point I grudingly got up on the treadmill in an attempt to slim down for wedding day. And now I've somehow allowed myself to be convinced to run a 5K as well! The RunKeeper app is my new best friend--it was FREE at the beginning of January and it works like an absolute charm. Good luck with your training!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apps are awesome aren't they! Haha. Wouldn't be running at all without it!
    I asked Matt yesterday, "When does running stop hurting?" He said it doesn't. Booooooo.

    ReplyDelete