Pages

Saturday, January 8, 2011

You blockhead!

via Arts Journal / Charlie Brown cartoon by Charles Schultz

You may notice something about our Web site: I am a bad, bad bride.


I decided that I didn't want to deal with hotel blocks, and that everyone could put on their grown-up britches and book their own rooms. Why? Well, at work I coordinate the events our company goes to, and the company has a set amount they usually want to spend on hotels. The room blocks are always way more than they're willing to spend, so they look elsewhere every single time.

My family is pretty cheap. Mr. Hyena's family lives close enough that many of them will just drive home after the wedding. Many of our friends are still in school or recently out of college, and likely wouldn't want to spend much for a place to stay. It seems silly to set aside a hotel block when I will eventually — inevitably — have to foot the cost for unused rooms. Plus, I'm lazy and I just didn't want to bother. Too big a hassle.

Besides, this being a college town, there are tons of places to stay. And because we do want to help out our guests a little, we did list a few nearby hotels on our Web site, and I even Yelped them to make sure they had good reviews!

Are you setting aside hotel blocks? Am I an awful, awful bride?

2 comments:

  1. I had my first mini-meltdown about hotel blocks a few months ago... I was so happy when I found a great price on a Best Western (it's no Hilton but it's nice enough... and very Texas-y!) and booked 20 rooms, and the manager said we could have more than that if needed. Then I start hearing some rumblings from family that that won't nearly be enough. Of course it won't - but some people will want to stay in bed/breakfasts or a nicer hotel, and the rest can put on their big boy/big girl pants and find a hotel room!

    That being said, I might still look for another one. Got to keep the troops happy :)

    If you do decide to find rooms, hotelplanner.com is a good place to start :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not set up a hotel block. It was probably a mostly selfish decision, but I've personally never stayed in a hotel block. My family is either in the DFW area, and those traveling will be staying with family. Matthew was unsure of how much of his out of town family would be traveling. Therefore, we had no estimation of how many rooms to get, and the idea of paying extra for unused rooms frightens me just a bit. So I outlined some nearby hotels on our wedding website, and, even though I can't save my guests $20, I thought at least providing address and phone numbers was enough. It probably isn't, but I have enough on my plate...

    ReplyDelete