Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Miss No More

I'm finished with my recaps, but I'm not quite ready to sign off yet. I still have things to say!

After our wedding, I began the long, arduous journey of changing my name. Only it wasn't really that long or arduous. I went to MissNowMrs.com, paid the $29 to use the service and filled out all the paperwork easy squeezy. Instead of having you fill out every single form individually, MissNowMrs provides one big form where you put in your maiden name/married name/address/other pertinent information, and then autofills all the other forms for you. GENIUS! Sure there are a few things to double-check on each form, and you still have to send out each form and the required IDs and licenses and moneys with 'em, but it was seriously not that difficult. Definitely recommend this, especially if you're lazy like me.

Which leads me to the next part. I've talked here (and again, here) about my feelings on changing my name. I completely dropped my maiden name and took his, leaving my middle name intact. I do not regret my decision in the slightest. However, the day that I went to the DMV to get my driver's license changed, I was convinced this whole name thing was a huge mistake. I came home with my temporary paper license and mourned the loss of my identity. I was not excited about the change, and was so bummed out about the fact that I wasn't jumping for joy. I had wanted this ... so why wasn't I happy?

That feeling took a couple of days to go away. I think I just needed that time to say goodbye to the last name I'd had and loved for more than two decades. I needed a few days to accept the new name as mine and not just his.

I've gotten used to signing my new signature, even though I sometimes accidentally revert back to my old one. I respond when people call me Mrs. HisName. Mr. Hyena still calls me by my maiden name occasionally (ie. "Are you ready for me to destroy you at Mario Kart, Lastname?"), and I like that he does that. But overall, after going through the process and having different governing entities and banks and offices all with different names, I'm just glad to have one unifying name again.

Changing my name was the best decision for me.

Does your SO call you by your last name (or maiden name) sometimes? Can you beat your SO at Mario Kart? Would you please beat Mr. Hyena at Mario Kart? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment